Tuesday, February 3, 2009

To pod or not to pod?



At their annual meeting last December, the USATF amended rule 144.3 effectively lifting the ban on the use of headphones during long distance running events. The rule previously banned headphone use for all runners.

Now, with the exception of runners competing for USA Championships, medals, or prize money etc (i.e. the super fast elite runners who get to start in front of everyone else) the rest of us can rock on to our favorite tunes.... if allowed by the race director. Bottom line, each race can decide whether or not to allow the use of headphones.

While I do train with my iPod, I have never run a race with musical support. I tend to side with those who argue against headphones not just for the safety aspects, but because you miss out on the human side of the race itself. The cheers of support from the sidelines, the music, the volunteer support and the brief conversations you have with fellow runners along the way all contribute to the overall race atmosphere. Something you would miss if you were tuned into your own little world of running music.

Some of us will be running in this year's Grandma's Marathon which will allow the use of headphones (although strongly discouraged). I for one, will continue to to run sans headphones and enjoy the run. How do you stand on headphones? Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. I for one am all for poding and running and happy this rule has been amended. Music can help motivate at the darkest moments when a runner needs a lift, it inspires one to move on. I agree there is much to the human side of the race and it's very important to unplug and participate in the pounding of the feet, the applause and fellow runners conversing, but 'tuning out' on occasion mid-run for anyway allows me to focus, keep the beat in my feet and get to the finish line for long races.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.