Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Grandma's Marathon - Hottest on Record


Pat and I may look happy, but the serious discussion at the start of this year's Grandma's Marathon was how to deal with the warm and humid weather. The temperature at the 7:30 start was a balmy 66 degrees with 78% humidity. Also, little to no wind. Shortly after this photo was taken, I opted for a sleeveless tank and extra sunscreen.


There would be no PRs this year as the weather required a more conservative run to avoid overheating and hyperthermia. I paced fairly well through the half with a split time of 2:14 and change; a bit slower than 10 minute mile pace - not bad given the warm conditions. By the time I reached the 16 mile mark, the heat had zapped all my energy. I had already seen one ambulance drive by and the Black Warning flags had been posted at every water stop. I saw at least one more ambulance drive off and there was definitely activity in the medical tents along the way. Walk/run combinations were in order for the last 10 miles. At some point, I had to stop drinking water and opt for ice chips, sponges and the occasional GU pack as my stomach was water logged.

With no shade to be found in downtown Duluth, the last 5 miles were extremely hot. I'm sure the temps on the streets had reached the mid 80's by then. I managed enough energy to run a bit of the last couple of miles and run the final stretch to the finish.

After winding my way through the finisher's area I arrived back at Pat and Brenda's van to share race commentary with the group and meet the rest of my family who ventured down to the finish. Pat also finished, and like my time was off by about an hour from his typical finishing times for the marathon distance.

We both survived the heat and lived to run another day. I'm thinking the Half for next year....






Bryan and daughter Paige at the finish.

1 comment:

  1. Bryan & Pat - Congrats to you both! Those last few miles fighting heat, dehydration, and fatigue can be miserable (I remember Chicago 2007 all too well). Glad you made it across safely.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.